Christopher Moring - Charter Master of Lodge No. 76, A.F. & A.M.
Thursday, November 3, 2011 at 3:13PM
Greensboro Masonic Museum in Lodge No. 76, A.F. & A.M.

Christopher Moring - Charter Master of Lodge No. 76, A.F. & A.M.Christopher Moring (Mooring was the original spelling) was born on September 22, 1789, in Surry County, Virginia--the son of John and Anne (Lane) Moring. The Mooring family was influenced to move to North Carolina by a friend and neighbor from Surry County, William O'Kelly, the father of James O’Kelly and the founder of the Christian Church. Both families lived near Lebanon Church, Virginia, where a bridge called "Mooring Bridge," was a landmark for many years.

On January 5, 1816, Christopher Moring married Miss Frances Barbee and they had the five children: Augutine T., Christopher S., Frances R., Hudson C., and William P. Mooring. The exact date Christopher Moring moved to Greensboro is unknown, but it is assumed prior to 1821.

Moring was a successful local merchant; he owned and operated a hotel on the southeast corner of East Market and Davie Streets. His hotel was "patronized by many travellers, and the arrival and departure of stage coaches, with horses champing at their bits and coachmen cracking their whips, were impressive events for the village." By 1828, his real estate was assessed at $2,300.

Moring became active in his church and local politics. On October 3, 1824, he was elected one of the first Trustees of the First Presbyterian Church and later was became a Ruling Elder, serving with Greene D. Jordan, William H. Cummings, Silas C. Lindsley and William Lindsay.

In 1826 he served on a local committee to make arrangements for the July 4th celebration of American Independence. In April 1829 he was elected as town commissioner for the local population of 369 citizens. Other commissioners elected that year included John M. Dick, John Hubbard, Robert Moderwell and William Adams, who served as chairman.

Charles Moring petitioned Hiram Lodge No. 40, A.F. & A.M. of Raleigh, N. C. for the degrees and membership and was initiated March 7, 1818. There is no record from Hiram Lodge indicating when or where he received the second and third degrees. On December 2, 1819, he visited Eagle Lodge No. 19, A.F. & A.M. of Hillsboro, N. C. and a few days later he visited the Grand Lodge of North Carolina, A. F.& A. M. on December 10, 1819, when he probably talked to the Grand Master about organizing a Lodge in Greensboro.

Moring was the first Master of Greensboro Lodge No. 76, A.F. & A.M., and served until June 14, 1821. He was also the first person to sign the newly created By-Laws of the Lodge, which were adopted on February 3, 1821. He served as Senior Deacon of the Greensboro Lodge from June 1, 1822 to June 24, 1824 and withdrew from the Lodge December 27, 1825.

Charles Moring died on August 27, 1836, and is buried in the cemetery of First Presbyterian Church. An inscription on his tombstone reads: "Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord."

Article originally appeared on Greensboro Masonic Museum: Benefitting and educating our Masonic fraternity and the public. (
See website for complete article licensing information.